EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. Its mission is to provide first-rate education, foster pioneering research, and promote cutting-edge technological innovation.
The EPFL community comprises more than 16’000 people, including over 10’000 students and 3’500 researchers from 120 different countries. There are in total around 2’200 doctoral candidates, and EPFL provides them a vibrant working environment.
As a world-leading scientific institution, EPFL is committed to playing a critical role in the transition towards a sustainable society based on technological innovation. This goal requires not only generating new knowledge and technology but also training responsible scientific leaders who will be able to think across boundaries and envision all encompassing solutions to critical societal problems.
About EPFLglobaLeaders Doctoral Fellowship Programme
EPFLglobaLeaders is a new and innovative doctoral fellowship programme, which aims to attract to EPFL outstanding doctoral candidates from all over the world seeking to – and with the potential to – become leaders in the transition towards sustainable societies. The programme is designed to:
- Increase their knowledge and awareness of pressing societal questions from the very beginning of their doctoral studies;
- Increase their capacity to come up with innovative answers to global challenges;
- Prepare them to take leadership roles in private companies, academic research institutions, or non-profit organisations committed to creating a sustainable society.
To this end, the EPFLglobaLeaders programme will provide excellent doctoral candidates with the appropriate training, experience, and guidance to become the next generation of responsible engineers and science leaders. This doctoral fellowship programme is open to applicants in any discipline in the areas of research of EPFL.
EPFLglobaLeaders is a new doctoral fellowship programme funding early stage researchers to become leaders in the transition towards sustainable societies. Forty-eight doctoral fellows will benefit from a multifaceted training programme.
EPFLglobaLeaders involves a collaboration with the non-academic sector. The programme includes a stay of 3 to 12 months in the non-academic sector.
Additionally, a (formal or informal) co-supervision of the PhD thesis by the non-academic partner is strongly encouraged.
Eligibility criteria for EPFLglobaLeaders Doctoral Fellowship Programme
The following eligibility criteria apply:
1. Citizens of any nationality may apply.
2. Applicants must hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) before they sign their employment contract.
3. Applicants must be Early Stage Researchers (ESR); by the time they sign their employment contract, they must not have completed more than four years of full-time research, and they must not have been awarded a doctoral degree.
4. Applicants must fulfil the MSCA transnational mobility rules and must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Switzerland for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline.
Exceptions to these rules are possible in order to ensure equal opportunities for applicants whose scientific career was interrupted. Therefore, the time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service, maternity leave, and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Each doctoral programme has its own application deadline; therefore applicants must check the webpage of the relevant programme for detailed information as well as the deadline overview.
To be successful for the EPFLglobaLeaders programme, applicants must submit their application before the application deadline of the EPFLglobaLeaders programme.
Benefits of EPFLglobaLeaders Doctoral Fellowship Programme
The EPFLglobaLeaders fellowship consists of a monthly contribution of EUR 1935 to the salary of the doctoral candidate at EPFL. The thesis supervisor must complement this EU contribution (beware that co-funding cannot come from other H2020 funding sources) and cover any associated costs (research costs, equipment, travel expenses, conferences, etc.).
Please contact Human Resources in your prospective school if you wish to know exact salary information, including social benefits such as AVS (pension scheme), AC (unemployment insurance), and child benefits.
May 15, 2022
Applications must be via the regular EPFL Doctoral School online application form and include the following information and documents:
Application to the EPFLglobaLeaders programme:
- Tick the Commitment/Dedication box
- Complete Mobility question Explanation of the motivation for the EPFLglobaLeaders programme (maximum 2000 characters)
Submit these Information (all applicants to the EPFL doctoral programmes):
- Personal details
- Academic background
- Doctoral programme
- Contact details of three referees who can supply a recommendation.
These recommendations are confidential and will be via the online application platform. Each recommendation consists of a standard form and a letter with the referee’s comments.
PDF documents to upload
(if not originally in English, French, German, or Italian, documents must be in one of these four languages):
- Official diplomas and grade transcripts from all higher education institutions of the applicant (after and excluding high school)
- Statement of objectives which clearly explains the motivation for the chosen doctoral programme (maximum 2 pages)
- Copy of passport or official identity card
- No correction after submission.
How to Apply
The application process is into two stages:
- Stage 1: Applicant is to submit an application to the EPFL Doctoral School (EDOC) via the online application form. Applicants to the EPFLglobaLeaders programme must provide some specific information in addition to the usual
information requested by EDOC.
- Stage 2: an application submitted by the thesis supervisor following the supervisor matching stage.
All details about the application process are specified in the “application guidelines”.
For more details, visit EPFL website