Applications are open for $20, 000 Jonathan B. Postel Service Award 2022. Jonathan Postel exemplified the spirit of the Internet as a resource to enrich people’s lives, working selflessly to make it a place of possibility and opportunity.
The Jonathan B. Postel Service Award honours individuals or organisations that has made extraordinary and long-term contributions to the Internet community.
The award honours and commemorates Dr. Jonathan B. Postel’s remarkable leadership over the course of his 30-year career in networking.
About Internet Society
The Internet is a place of possibility and opportunity. It is where we collaborate and innovate for a better world. Where we share our hopes and strengthen our bonds. It is where we work, learn, and make progress.
The Internet Society is a global nonprofit organization empowering people to keep the Internet a force for good: open, globally connected, secure, and trustworthy. We are the Internet Society. We believe everyone should be able to benefit from an open and trusted Internet.
Jonathan B. Postel Service Award
- At a virtual worldwide summit with Internet technology professionals later this year, the chosen candidate will receive a US$20,000 honorarium and the distinctive crystal engraving globe.
Eligibility and Requirements $20, 000 Jonathan B. Postel Service Award 2022
- The award is given for long-term and significant technological contributions, community service, and leadership. Candidates who have supported and enabled others in their work are given special consideration by the nomination committee when it comes to leadership.
- The nominator must include specific acts, works, contributions, and other criteria that exemplify how the nominee has been in service of the Internet and its communities along with two references to support the nomination.
- The candidate has developed new technologies that have extended the Internet’s functionality or scope.
- Contributions include: developing new protocols, devices, techniques, technical processes, or tools that lead to the growth, usefulness, or strength of the Internet.
- The nominee has made a significant contribution to the Internet’s strengthening, growth, and protection. Their efforts have increased the availability and accessibility of the Internet in their region and beyond.
The candidate has brought a community together, formed a group, or motivated an existing organization to:
- Contribute innovations and advance the Internet.
- Grow and strengthen the Internet.
Service to the Community
- The candidate volunteers their time to educate others about the Internet.
- They enable others to contribute to the development of the Internet.
- They continue to selflessly devote their time to the evolution and adoption of the Internet.
- Nominators must complete all sections as fully as possible. Your form is the primary tool to determine the merits of your nominee. Nominations will close on 13 May 2022, 23:59 UTC.
- It is necessary to fill out the form in English.
- Incomplete nomination forms will be ineligible.
- Please note that there is no room for self-nominations.
- 25 March 2022: Nominations open
- 13 May 2022, 23:59 UTC: Nominations close
- 23 May – 10 June 2022: Award committee members evaluate nominations and draw up a list of final candidates
- 13 June – 1 July 2022: Award committee members select the 2022 awardee from shortlisted candidates through a majority vote.
- 5-11 November 2022: The recipient is announced and presented during the week of the IETF 115.
For more information, visit Jonathan B. Postel Service Award.