For the academic year 2022-2023, the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation is offering fully funded scholarships to international students. This award is available for master’s and doctoral students. The Scholarships provide a monthly stipend, as well as housing and travel expenses to an international conference.
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation is to provide scholarships to bright students who are struggling to study in various conditions in developing countries, as well as to Japanese students studying abroad, in order to help them learn advanced technologies and improve their good intentions. The Foundation will serve as a bridge connecting Japan with the rest of the world in terms of culture and mutual friendships.
Level of Study: Masters, PhD
Institution(s): Honjo International Scholarship Foundation
Study in: Japan
Opportunity Focus Areas: There is no restriction on field of research.
Program Period: From 1 to 5 years.
Deadline: April 30, 2022 / October 31, 2022
The period of the scholarship for the recipient is set in accordance with the shortest period of time required to complete the intended degree.
- ¥200,000 per month for 1 year or 2 years
- ¥180,000 per month for 3 years
- ¥150,000 per month for 4 years or 5 years
The payment period is constant.
Eligibility Criteria for Honjo International Fully Funded Scholarship
(To be eligible for applying our scholarship, the student must satisfy ALL of the requirement criteria below.)
1. The student who does not possess Japanese citizenship
2. The student must be enrolled as of September 2022 or currently applying for the academic course starting from September 2022 at a graduate school in Japan.
Those who are going to enter graduate schools in Spring 2023 should apply for the 2023 program which starts accepting applications from September 1 to October 31, 2022.
3. In case only taking courses online without coming to Japan, you are not eligible.
4. In principle, the student enrolling in a professional graduate school is not eligible to apply. However, the student who can submit a research plan is eligible to apply.
5. The enrolment duration until graduation must be longer than 12 months.
6. To be eligible, the student applying for the PhD program must start the PhD course by the age of 35. The student applying for the master’s program must start the master course by the age of 30 (No exception).
7. The student must have a strong will to serve in their home country as a future career plan.
8. The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
9. The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese.
From April 1, 2022 to April 30, 2022 (the “Online application system” operating period).
How to apply for Honjo International Fully Funded Scholarship
1. Enter the “Online application system” and then complete all the necessary information. Upload the required documents A~ D as PDF file. “Online application system”→ https://entry.hisf.or.jp (This system is available starting from April 1, 2022)
2. An application number will be given to you upon completion of the application process. The successful students’ application numbers will be on the foundation website, so please save them.
Documents to Submit
- Academic transcript (In Japanese or English; please attach a translation in case of other languages.)
A-1. Academic transcript of the undergraduate course. If you move into the university from the College of technology (kōsen school system), you are to submit the school transcript.
A-2. Academic transcript of the graduate school (If you do not have the transcript, you do not need to submit it.)
- B. Research Proposal: Use the sample template and write in Japanese language. The template of the MS Word file is available on our website. The applicants are to describe:
B-1. What you are going to research
B-2. What and how you are going to contribute to your home country based on what you will learn or study in Japan.
B-3. Your achievement regarding research, academic, and social activity.
- C. A recommendation letter from a supervisor: Please obtain a recommendation letter describing your academic performances, personal characteristics evaluation, future potential, etc.
The recommender can send the recommendation letter directly to the foundation without sending it to the applicant. The letter should be sent from the recommender’s email account to email@example.com no later than the date of the deadline.
The file’s name should include the applicant’s name and an application number that the applicant is given.
D. Documents that prove admission, such as an admission letter, a letter of acceptance, etc. Please upload the certificate of enrollment only if you are already a student is in the graduate school.
If the admission letter or the letter of acceptance is not available by April 30, 2022, please enter the probable date that is available on the “Online application system” and then send it to the HISF office via email as soon as it is available.
1. First selection (Screening of documents): The result of the first selection will be by June 30, 2022. The application numbers of successful applicant of the first selection process will be on the website.
2. Second selection (Interview): in early July 2022, in Tokyo or by video call. The successful candidates of the first selection process will receive notification for the interview.
3. Final results of the scholarship award: July 31, 2022
About Scholarship Payment for Honjo International Fully Funded Scholarship
1. In the following cases, scholarship payment can be stopped. The recipient may require to pay back the scholarship amount that has already been paid, according to the decision made by the Board of Directors.
1-1. When it is difficult to continue schooling or research due to illness or other reasons.
1-2. When the supervisor recognized that the recipient is ineligible for continuing study or conducting the research.
1-3. In case of academic achievement failure or discovery of worst behavior.
1-4. When false statements are found in the applications or other submitted documents.
1-5. When your act as a scholar is worst enough to hurt the honor of the Foundation.
Also apply for: Fully Funded: Central South University Scholarship 2022
For Inquiry about the Scholarship
Inquiries are by email.
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation
1-14-9, Tomigaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0063
Send inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To know more about Honjo International fully funded Scholarship Foundation Scholarships, please visit official website: